This mittens were made to match Lenores Scarf. Same yarn, and a custom pattern I made up on-the-fly (not that mittens are that tough) as follows:
- Started with a toe-up-sock style tip, increased to fit tightly over fingers.
- Knitted round until the mitten got to my thumb.
- Set aside thumb stitches.
- Placed some stitches (four, I think) on a stitch holder.
- Knitted one more round.
- At the held stitches, I cast on four new stitches.
- Knitted another complete round.
- Continued in the round on smaller needles to start the inward tapering.
- A bit of ribbing for the cuff, then cast-off.
- Picked up the thumb stitches and knitted round, closing it by reducing and then tying it off like a toque.
Then, lather, rinse, repeat! Simple and effective.