The number of unprotected WAPs never ceases to amaze me. Here I am, blogging from a diner in North Vancouver on someone’s unprotected AP (yes, I know, questionable behaviour), and, frankly, loving it! If this keeps up, ‘net access will be ubiquitous in no time!
Man, I just keep finding cooler and cooler stuff for my Palm. First up, ScummVM. This thing lets you play those old LucasArts games, like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, etc, on your Palm! As if I don’t have enough games, now I have more! I’ll have to take some pics of some games running on my Palm… it’s pretty sweet, and with the bright colour screen, they look gorgeous.
On a more esoteric front, I came across OmniRemote. Believe it or not, it turns your Palm into a fully programmable IR remote control! Sound useless? Well, for me, it probably is, but it’s still pretty neat… although, it does have some issues that make it impractical for day to day use (button presses are kind slow for no discernible reason, and, for some reason, it sends a double-power signal to my cable box when I hit the power button).
Ugh. It’s 1:18am, and I’m only now finally ready to put my Palm down and leave it alone for a bit. Stupid thing, being as cool as I expected! A quick run-down of the apps I’ve installed:
- AeroPlayer - Audio player.
- brightnessFix2 - Hack to remove lower limit on screen dimming.
- CliFrotz - ZCode interpreter.
- Filez - File Manager.
- IBM JVM - A Java Virtual Machine.
- Little John - Multi-system emulator.
- MemUnfragment - A hack to reduce fragmentation of the TX’s memory.
- NetChaser - 802.11 scanner (for wardriving… good times. :)
- Opera Mini - Opera’s java-based mini-browser.
- PalmFiction - E-Book reader.
- PalmPDF - A nice PDF viewer based on Xpdf.
- PalmVNC - VNC client. You’d be surprised how useful this has been, already.
- PilotGOne - Go software.
- pssh - SSH client.
- Quick News - An RSS reader.
- SgfMan - Go game record manager.
- SmbMate - Windows file share browser (extremely handy, and I found an actual freeware copy).
- SoftwareUpdate - Tool for installing software via URL.
- Sudoku - Name says it all.
- TCPMP - Video player.
- UDMH - Another memory hack (makes SD storage look like RAM).
Yeah. All that. And that doesn’t include the time I spent acquiring stuff to play on Little John, populating my SD card with music, copying over zcode files, the odd e-book (including Shape Up and Alice in Wonderland), and lord knows what else. I think it suffices to say that, thus far, I’ve gotten my money’s worth out of it. It should be interesting to see how long the novelty lasts. :)
Anyway, in the next couple days I’ll see about posting some pictures and initial impressions (which are, BTW, quite favourable, by and large). Meanwhile, I really gotta go to bed… unlike Lenore, who’s psychotic enough to try and watch the Olympics when they start broadcasting live at 2.
My Palm has arrived! Definitely speedy, since I placed the order on Saturday, leaving Monday to prep order, Tuesday to ship, Wednesday morning to update the damn order tracking website, and Thursday at lunch time for arrival.
So now I wait for it to charge. What then? I have no idea… though I really should be doing something work-related. Maybe I’ll figure out how to check my email or browse the web.
3 of 3